Sunday, March 08, 2009

How does the garden grow and other thoughts


Our garden is planted for the upcoming season. I tweak a bit now and then as I squeeze in a few more plants, or realize that those seeds didn't germinate (lettuce). I have more flowers in there than the past, in hopes of having some color during the peak hot season when nothing else produces. I do have lots of volunteer tomatoes and a pumpkin volunteer that came up because I used the compost from our bin for the first time this year. We are still harvesting radishes and carrots that wintered over, yummy.


I"m sure I will have to thin the marigolds and probably the basil... I might have the heart to do that.

We were sitting out on the lanai working on taxes today and had two parrots come to feed at our bird feeder. They are regulars there and must be very light birds as they don't seem to trigger the spin mechanism on the Yankee Flipper we have to deter the squirrels. Quaker parrots are really beautiful green with black heads.

My surgery sight continues to progress. I have a small bit of swelling left in the area, and it is red/bruised/scar, but I am please with my progress. Fresh Pineapple! Yes, my surgeon recommended it as there is something in it that inhibits bruising and promotes healing. They recommend eating it three days out from surgery. I ate it 5 days out and then every day for the first 10 days after. I stopped every day and went to every other as it started to effect my taste. Arnica Montana was also recommended for the first three days.

I am sending my final batch of beaded hearts to Jeannette tomorrow. I managed to do quite a few more post surgery as my vision started to clear. I'll post the photos of this weekend's work tomorrow.

3 comments:

Pam said...

My doctor recommended fresh Kiwi, three times a day. So for a couple of weeks I was eating three kiwi a day. Until I couldn't stand the taste of kiwi any more.
Pam

Teri said...

Hi Wendy!
Can you share what you used for the physical structure of your garden?

Wenwe said...

My garden has a base of landscape fabric. Then I bought some really col connectors at Lee Valley Hardware. They allow patio pavers to stand upright. So the sides are 16inch pavers with the connectors at the top and bottom, held in place by engineered (trex) decking.